qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Removing old/unused audio backends

From: Gerd Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Removing old/unused audio backends
Date: Thu, 21 May 2015 08:52:07 +0200

On Do, 2015-05-21 at 00:05 +0200, Kővágó Zoltán wrote:

> Here are the drivers that could go in my opinion:
> esd: no longer maintained, last release in 2008, replaced by PulseAudio
> fmod: not sure about this one, but apparently it's some no longer
> developed library that's also proprietary.
> sdl: is broken
> (http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-05/msg02198.html),
> and we have native drivers for almost all platforms
> winwave: DirectSound should be a superior choice on windows (even though
> it's also deprecated)

Looks all reasonable to me.

If someone has objections and/or used any of these backends recently
please speak up now.

When preparing patches to drop them please create one patch per backend.
That way we can bring back a single backend -- should the need arise --
using 'git revert'.

> alsa needed on Linux, oss on BSDs, coreaudio on Mac, dsound on Windows;
> spice and pa are also needed.  wav is probably useful for debugging.

For completeness:  The 'none' dummy backend needs to stay too.

cheers,
  Gerd