qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Announcing qboot, a minimal x86 firmware for QEMU

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Announcing qboot, a minimal x86 firmware for QEMU
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 12:54:38 +0100

On 27 May 2015 at 10:30, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> For example, ARM's "-M virt" uses a pl011 block for the RTC, and also
> uses fw_cfg.  Another commonly used ISA device is the UART, for which
> again -M virt uses a pl031.

Partly we do that because there were a number of reports that trying
to use virtio for the console didn't work reliably... Using the
stock UART that is widely supported in UEFI/uboot/kernel was a
conservative design choice.

The next thing that's likely to appear in "virt" is a PL061
GPIO device, which you need for CPU hotplug and external-shutdown-request
notifications.

-- PMM