qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] FreeBSD clock_gettime()

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] FreeBSD clock_gettime()
Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 15:49:41 +0100

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 07:11:25PM +0530, Sai Prajeeth wrote:
> I have done experiments and it seems that FreeBSD's libc function
> clock_gettime() results in a system call when running on QEMU whereas on
> hardware it does not. Does anybody know why? For those interested , you can
> find the clock_gettime libc call in freebsd source here:
> https://github.com/lattera/freebsd/blob/master/lib/libc/sys/clock_gettime.c

This is more of a FreeBSD kernel question than a QEMU question.  I don't
have time to dig into the FreeBSD sources but you should be able to find
the answer there.

Check out the FreeBSD kernel's vdso implementation.  Linux has something
similar, it's a library mapped into userspace processes that is provided
by the kernel.  It includes low-level utilities that depend on the
specific kernel.

Stefan