qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Modifying start location for binary translation

From: Anthony Carno
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Modifying start location for binary translation
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 10:46:20 -0400

Hello there,

I've been working to understand how QEMU works in an attempt to use it for a project on dynamic binary translation.  I've been tracing my way through the user-mode emulation files via GDB and careful examination of the source code (I'm working with v1.1 as it's a bit simpler to understand for now), but I've come to a point where I could use a bit of help.  I'd like to specify which parts of a program get translated, and then extract the results of that part of the program (i.e., start a program in one architecture, translate a subset of instructions to another architecture, execute those in QEMU, then retrieve the results from a particular register and finish program execution in the original architecture).  I found the image_info structure in qemu.h, and was wondering if I could modify the start_code and end_code values to denote the subset of instructions I wanted to translate (or am I completely off-base here, in which case I'd appreciate a pointer or two if possible).

Thank you!

Anthony C.