qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] libcacard: use the library?

From: Michael Tokarev
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] libcacard: use the library?
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 23:15:28 +0300

17.06.2015 22:26, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> On 17/06/2015 20:25, Michael Tokarev wrote:
[]
>> Ok.  I wrote small configure script (just a simple shell script,
>> no auto*tools, since the configuration of it is stright-forward,
>> we just need to check libglib and libnss versions using pkg-config
>> and check if libtool works) and a small Makefile for libcacard.
>
> Thanks, can you put a git repo somewhere?  I'll autoconfiscate it, in
> the meanwhile you can perhaps look at adding submodule support similar
> to pixman?

I tried autoconf&automake&libtool.  It is a HugeMess, I disliked it.
So I rewrote it as a simple shell script.

The result of both attempts is available at
http://www.corpit.ru/mjt/tmp/libcacard/
There are 4 files in there:

 configure.ac Makefile.am -- auto*shit version, requires bootstrap like
  libtoolize && aclocal && automake --foreign --add-missing && autoconf

 configure Makefile.in -- my small version based on what qemu ./configure
  currently does.

(note: running bootstrap above will override configure and Makefile.in).

That's about autoconfiscate.

Speaking of git repo -- we already have a git repo for it as part of
qemu tree.  The only thing needed is to make a "subtree" with one or
another version of configure. Plus decide which version number it will
have, and how it will be used in qemu.

>> Now the question is what to do with it?  How to make it external
>> and where to put it?  What to use for its version?  How to migrate
>> to its usage in qemu?
>>
>> I propose to put it in a separate git repository on qemu project
>> site and remove it from qemu source, since it is definitely not a
>> hard requiriment to have smartcard support.  Or maybe we can keep
>> it for a release in qemu source, adding it as a submodule, with
>> a tweak to be able to use external lib instead of embedded copy
>> if external is available.

I think we should just drop in-tree support for it in qemu-2.6,
disabling cacard support if external libcacard is not available.
And until that time, keep it in-tree in qemu.

Thanks,

/mjt