qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] libcacard: use the library?

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] libcacard: use the library?
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2015 10:27:14 +0100

On Thu, Jun 18, 2015 at 11:07:53AM +0200, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:

> >> My 10-minute expirience with auto*tools did't go that far :)
> >
> > You got everything else right, though.  Kudos.

> >> Well, it is trivial to add.  For a first cut it works.
> >
> > And then it will be something else with cross-compilation, or something
> > else.  Let's just use autotools and call it a day...
>
> In my experience, the Autotools are the worst build system, except for
> all the others.

And home grown systems that attempt to superficially look like autoconf,
eg qemu's configure, are the worst of all, because they give the poor
users false hope that behaviour will be like all autotools apps.

> Libtool is particularly horrible.  But when you actually have the
> problem it solves (building shared libraries on almost every rotten OS
> known to man), you're in a particularly horrible place already.
>
> So, Paolo's recommendation seconded.

Agreed.   I'm happy to review any autoconf conversion, as I've maintained
obscenely complicated autoconf scripts (eg libvirts :-)

Regards,
Daniel