qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] add --image command line for use with non-linux m

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] add --image command line for use with non-linux machines
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2015 22:53:58 +0100

On 20 June 2015 at 22:00, Liviu Ionescu <address@hidden> wrote:
> Due to the problems that I recently faced with the semihosting patches, that
> impair functionality for maintaining compatibility with existing linux
> machines, I added the following to my GNU ARM Eclipse branch:
>
> ---------------------------------
> DEFHEADING(Microcontroller/Cortex-M specific:)

I do think we should improve our handling of image file
thing that's special cased to one target architecture,
board or CPU subtype is a really bad idea. If we want
ELF image loading we need to support it on *all* boards
and *all* CPU architectures. Anything else is just making
our confusing set of image loading arguments worse.

> I think that it is reasonably to acknowledge that not all emulated
> machines are linux boxes, and that it is not ok to bend everything
> to match the linux command line options.

This I agree with.

-- PMM