qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] should KVM or userspace be the one which decides what M

From: Christoffer Dall
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] should KVM or userspace be the one which decides what MIPIDR/affinity values to assign to vcpus?
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 10:00:14 +0200

Hi,

[sorry for reviving this thread late]

On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 12:24:13PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 9 June 2015 at 11:52, Marc Zyngier <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> This is a question better asked on the kvmarm list (which I have cc'd),
> >> because that is where the kernel folks hang out...
> >
> > Care to provide some context? Why is this required?
>
> The device tree spec says we have to tell the guest kernel the
> affinity information for each CPU, in the reg field of the CPU node.
> This device tree blob is created by userspace; the MPIDR the guest
> actually reads is currently created by the kernel. The kernel's
> vgic v3 code may also make assumptions about vcpu_id => affinity
> mappings, I'm not sure.
>
> In current code:
>  * the kernel has an opinion about vcpu_id => MPIDR mappings
>  * QEMU does too, but it's not the same!
>    (luckily for 8 or fewer CPUs they agree, but this will not
>    do for GICv3 support)
>
> So either:
>  * QEMU needs to tell the kernel the MPIDR for each vCPU

Does this option work for all configurations?  What if you're running on
a hardware with two clusters [8, 8] and QEMU asks KVM for a [12, 2]
configuration, for example.  Will it not be impossible for KVM to
maintain correct semantics for coherency guarantees across what seems to
the guest to be the same cluster, but really is two different clusters?

Of course, KVM can deny an unsupported configuration, but I am wondering
if we really think anybody will care about the 'model such specific
hardware' aspect with KVM, or if we should only consider the 'I want a
VM with x VCPUs' scenario, in which case the second option below seems
simpler to me.

Are there any concerns to think about wrt. migration here as well?

Thanks,
-Christoffer