qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] Bug: vnc + websocket = websocket autoport not

From: Martin Kletzander
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [libvirt] Bug: vnc + websocket = websocket autoport not working right at live migration
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 22:00:11 +0200

On Tue, Jun 23, 2015 at 02:13:21PM +0200, Piotr Rybicki wrote:
Hello.

Problem description:

When i start qemu via libvirt with vnc websocket defined, it is not
possible to live migrate to host where other qemu process is running
with the same display id.

migration error is:

error: internal error: early end of file from monitor: possible problem:
           [1] => 2015-06-23T11:54:25.590506Z qemu-system-x86_64: -vnc
0.0.0.0:1,websocket=5700,password: Failed to start VNC server on `(null)': Failed
to bind socket: Address already in use

(please note vnc display id=1 and websocket=5700 - where it should be 5701)

in libvirt's xml i have:
(...)
   <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1'
listen='0.0.0.0' passwd='xxx'>
     <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
   </graphics>
(...)

for first and only qemu process on host, this creates qemu commandline:
(...) -vnc 0.0.0.0:0,websocket=5700,password (...)

for second qemu process on the same host:
(...)  -vnc 0.0.0.0:1,websocket=5701,password (...)

There is no problem with migration, when there is no websocket
configuration.

Solution:

I believe, to solve this problem, libvirt has to omit websocket port
definition in commandline string ('websocket=5700' => 'websocket')
when autoport is defined in domain xml definition.

Well, either that or increasing the websocket number as well.  And
that port should be auto-allocated so in case there is something
listening on port 5701 it can select 5702.  That would be even more
error-proof and libvirt would retain full control of qemu (we do that
so that in case the 'websocket = display + 5700' default gets changed,
we still know all the details we set up).

from man qemu:
    -vnc display[,option[,option[,...]]]
(...)
         websocket
              Opens an additional TCP listening port dedicated to VNC
Websocket connections.  By definition the Websocket port is
              5700+display. If host is specified connections will
only be allowed from this host.  As an alternative the Websocket port
              could be specified by using "websocket"=port.  TLS
encryption for the Websocket connection is supported if the required
              certificates are specified with the VNC option x509.

So if I understand it right, not specifying websocket port means
5700+display id, and display id is given via commandline and
increments just fine.

Can anyone confirm this? Or perhaps there is some misconfiguration in
my xml domain definition?

I believe this is a bug in libvirt.  Would you mind creating a bug in
bugzilla for this issue so we can properly track the issue?

Thanks,
Martin

Best regards
Piotr Rybicki