qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] mem1 is in use, can not be deleted

From: Eduardo Otubo
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] mem1 is in use, can not be deleted
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 15:56:13 +0200

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 11=18=21AM +0200, Igor Mammedov wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 10:07:52 +0200
> Eduardo Otubo <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I compiled the HEAD of the master branch and was testing memory
> > hotunplug and got to this issue. Note: I followed exactly what's written
> > on the docs/memory-hotplug.txt file.
> >
> > QEMU 2.3.50 monitor - type 'help' for more information
> > (qemu) object_add memory-backend-ram,id=mem1,size=1G
> > object_add memory-backend-ram,id=mem1,size=1G
> > (qemu) device_add pc-dimm,id=dimm1,memdev=mem1
> > device_add pc-dimm,id=dimm1,memdev=mem1
> > (qemu) device_del dimm1
> > device_del dimm1
> > (qemu) object_del mem1
> > object_del mem1
> > mem1 is in use, can not be deleted
>
> probably because  dimm1 isn't deleted,
> you can check it in monitor using command "info memory-devices"

Yes, you're right. The reason is surely because dimm1 wasn't deleted --
and I think I didn't make my point very clear -- my question was more
about: Is there any reason for dimm1 not being deleted? The reason why I
tested with the guest OS fully running and on GRUB is because I guessed
the guest OS was using this memory and couldn't be deallocated. If
that's the case, and qemu did a best effort to remove and couldn't
because guest was using it, then Ok, I just need to adapt my tests.
Other than that perhaps I hit a bug.

Regards,

--
Eduardo Otubo