qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: guest-side retrieval of fw_cfg file

From: Matt Fleming
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: guest-side retrieval of fw_cfg file
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:06:30 +0100

On Tue, 2015-07-14 at 13:00 -0400, Gabriel L. Somlo wrote:

> That being said, I did reimplement systemd's escape method in cca. 30
> lines of C, so that shouldn't be too onerous.

I really don't see a reason to use systemd's naming scheme instead of
the one already provided by the kernel.

> Besides, Laszlo said he liked a real folder hierarchy, and I do too,
> so I'm still pondering how much doing that would complicate the module
> init function. I'm somewhat worried about what the added complexity
> will mean in terms of upstream acceptance in the linux kernel :)

Yeah, going that route will complicate the patch and you're going to get
asked "Umm.. why?" by Greg Kroah-Hartman (definitely Cc Greg when
sending this to the kernel mailing lists btw).

But if you can provide sound technical arguments for the added
complexity I'm sure the kernel folks will be happy. Laszlo's argument
makes sense to me, i.e. wanting to use standard utilities to know
whether a blob is available.

Instead of rolling all this kobject-creation logic into your driver I'd
suggest writing a patch to lib/kobject.c., since the problem sounds like
something that should be solved with the kobject API.

The question is, how simple can you make the code ;-)