qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL for-2.4 0/7] update ipxe roms, fix efi support

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL for-2.4 0/7] update ipxe roms, fix efi support
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2015 16:28:31 +0200

On 21/07/2015 16:25, Peter Maydell wrote:

>> > Well, it did say "This pull finally fixes the efi boot support.  ipxe is
>> > updated to the latest master, two non-upstream commits needed to make
>> > efi work are added on top, and the build process is tweaked a bit".
> Right, but if you want us to switch from "we just mirror
> upstream ipxe" to "we have our own ipxe" then it's probably
> better to start with that, rather than by submitting a pullreq
> that can't be applied until we switch our ipxe workflow.
>
> Do we really need this for 2.4, or can we wait and sort
> this out afterwards? It feels a bit late in the release
> cycle to start doing this kind of thing to me.

Well, it is a bugfix.  shim.efi doesn't work with upstream iPXE, and
hence doesn't work with the ROMs currently distributed by QEMU (Fedora
applies the patches already).

The patches have missed 2.3 and 2.4 because Gerd has been sending them
again upstream every month.

That said, I see your point.  It's probably not of utmost importance as
long as OVMF remains non-free and hence not shipped by most distributions.

Paolo