qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [POC] colo-proxy in qemu

From: Dong, Eddie
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [POC] colo-proxy in qemu
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 02:04:01 +0000

Hi Stefan:
        Thanks for your comments!

> On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 02:42:33PM +0800, Li Zhijian wrote:
> > We are planning to implement colo-proxy in qemu to cache and compare
> packets.
>
> I thought there is a kernel module to do that?

        Yes, that is the previous solution the COLO sub-community choose to go,
but we realized it might be not the best choices, and thus we want to bring
discussion back here :)  More comments are welcome.

> Why does the proxy need to be part of the QEMU process?  -netdev socket or
> host network stack features allow you to process packets in a separate
> process.

        Hailiang did a very good summary, and we don't need privilege ops so
far. The main thing that motivated us to revisit is because the former kernel
land driver would be a pure virtualization (and for high availability)
component. It may have limited user only at very beginning and thus slower to
be accepted. And, people typically like to put component to be in user land as
if it can.

        In addition, as a pure virtualization feature, we guess people in Qemu
mailing list may be much more interested to support all the VMMs, such as pure
Qemu VMM, KVM, etc.

Thx Eddie