qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [POC] colo-proxy in qemu

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [POC] colo-proxy in qemu
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 12:56:40 +0100

* Jason Wang (address@hidden) wrote:

> >> The assumption is that, after VM checkpoint, SVM and PVM have identical
> >> internal state, so the pattern used to generate random data has high
> >> possibility to generate identical data at short time, at least...
> > They do diverge pretty quickly though; I have simple examples which
> > reliably cause a checkpoint because of simple randomness in applications.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> And it will become even worse if hwrng is used in guest.

Yes; it seems quite application dependent;  (on IPv4) an ssh connection,
once established, tends to work well without triggering checkpoints;
and static web pages also work well.  Examples of things that do cause
more checkpoints are, displaying guest statistics (e.g. running top
in that ssh) which is timing dependent, and dynamically generated
web pages that include a unique ID (bugzilla's password reset link in
it's front page was a fun one), I think also establishing
new encrypted connections cause the same randomness.

However, it's worth remembering that COLO is trying to reduce the
number of checkpoints compared to a simple checkpointing world
which would be aiming to do a checkpoint ~100 times a second,
and for compute bound workloads, or ones that don't expose
the randomness that much, it can get checkpoints of a few seconds
in length which greatly reduces the overhead.

Dave