qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] PO makefile rules touching source

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] PO makefile rules touching source
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2015 10:09:09 +0100

* Stefan Weil (address@hidden) wrote:
> Am 06.08.2015 um 13:54 schrieb Dr. David Alan Gilbert:
> >Hi Stefan,
> >   I don't really understand the way PO stuff is supposed to work,
> >but I often get the problem that my git tree gets changed during
> >an out of tree build, causing the po subdirectory to be
> >dirtied.
> >
> >I think this is due to the rule:
> >
> >$(PO_PATH)/%.po: $(PO_PATH)/messages.po
> >         $(call quiet-command, msgmerge -q $@ $< > address@hidden && mv
> > address@hidden $@, "  GEN   $@")
> >
> >in po/Makefile.
> >
> >Why does that merge into $(PO_PATH)/%.po rather than %.po - i.e.
> >why to the source rather than to the build directory?
> >
> >Dave
> >
> >--
> >Dr. David Alan Gilbert / address@hidden / Manchester, UK
>
> Hi Dave,
>
> the *.po files are initially generated, then manually
> enhanced by the translated texts.
>
> Each time when there are modifications to the
> related source file (for QEMU: ui/gtk.c), the *.po
> files need updates, too (new or removed texts,
> but most often changes of line numbers).
>
> That's why I have sent a patch to update the
> *.po files for QEMU 2.4.0. With this patch
> (which is still not applied), you would not
> get changes when doing a complete build
> because *.po files and ui/gtk.c would match.
>
> As long as there is the mismatch, you'll
> get modified *.po files when running
> "make install". I usually handle this case
> by running "git diff po|patch -p1 -R"
> which removes the *.po modifications.

But why are these files in the source tree *ever* updated by a make install;
if you're saying the .po files need updating, that's fine, but have the
makefile do the update into the build directory, not the source directory.
You might want a convenience make target for updating the source directory
po files to make your life easier, but I don't understand why that triggers
during a normal make install.

Dave