qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v4 1/9] exec.c: Add new exclusive bitmap to ram_li

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC v4 1/9] exec.c: Add new exclusive bitmap to ram_list
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 14:36:58 +0200

On 12/08/2015 09:31, alvise rigo wrote:
> I think that tlb_flush_entry is not enough, since in theory another
> vCPU could have a different TLB address referring the same phys
> address.

You're right, this is a TLB so it's virtually-indexed. :(  I'm not sure
what happens on ARM, since it has a virtually indexed (VIVT or VIPT)
cache, but indeed it would be a problem when implementing e.g. CMPXCHG
using the TCG ll/sc ops.

I'm a bit worried about adding such a big bitmap.  It's only used on
TCG, but it is also allocated on KVM and on KVM you can have hundreds
of VCPUs.  Wasting 200 bits per guest memory page (i.e. ~0.6% of guest
memory) is obviously not a great idea. :(

Perhaps we can use a bytemap instead:

- 0..253 = TLB_EXCL must be set in all VCPUs except CPU n.  A VCPU that
loads the TLB for this vaddr does not have to set it.

- 254 = TLB_EXCL must be set in all VCPUs.  A VCPU that
loads the TLB for this vaddr has to set it.

- 255 = TLB_EXCL not set in at least two VCPUs

Transitions:

- ll transitions: anything -> 254

- sc transitions: 254 -> current CPU_ID

- TLB_EXCL store transitions: 254 -> current CPU_ID

- tlb_st_page transitions: CPU_ID other than current -> 255

The initial value is 255 on SMP guests, 0 on UP guests.

The algorithms are very similar to yours, just using this approximate
representation.

ll algorithm:
  llsc_value = bytemap[vaddr]
  if llsc_value == CPU_ID
     do nothing
  elseif llsc_value < 254
     flush TLB of CPU llsc_value
  elseif llsc_value == 255
     flush all TLBs
  set TLB_EXCL
  bytemap[vaddr] = 254
  load

tlb_set_page algorithm:
  llsc_value = bytemap[vaddr]
  if llsc_value == CPU_ID or llsc_value == 255
     do nothing
  else if llsc_value == 254
     set TLB_EXCL
  else
     # two CPUs without TLB_EXCL
     bytemap[vaddr] = 255

TLB_EXCL slow path algorithm:
   if bytemap[vaddr] == 254
      bytemap[vaddr] = CPU_ID
   else
      # two CPUs without TLB_EXCL
      bytemap[vaddr] = 255
   clear TLB_EXCL in this CPU
   store

sc algorithm:
   if bytemap[vaddr] == CPU_ID or bytemap[vaddr] == 254
      bytemap[vaddr] = CPU_ID
      clear TLB_EXCL in this CPU
      store
      succeed
   else
      fail

clear algorithm:
   if bytemap[vaddr] == 254
      bytemap[vaddr] = CPU_ID

The UP case is optimized because bytemap[vaddr] will always be 0 or 254.

The algorithm requires the LL to be cleared e.g. on exceptions.
Paolo