qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Plan for using softmmu with linux-user

From: gchen gchen
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Plan for using softmmu with linux-user
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2015 17:37:10 +0800

On 2015年08月14日 16:44, Peter Maydell wrote:
> On 14 August 2015 at 04:25, gchen gchen <address@hidden> wrote:
>>  - If the performance of "linux-user + softmmu + tci" is not acceptable
>>    (at present, I am not quite sure), we have to implement SW64 tcg host
>>    target instead of tci.
>
> If you care even slightly about performance, then do not use TCI.
> A tcg backend is only about 2000 lines of code, they're not terribly
> difficult to implement.

OK, thank you for your suggestion, but for me, I guess, I still need let
tci work correctly:

 - If I implement SW64 tcg backend, I guess, I cann't get help from qemu
   upstream: I don't think SW64 is valuable enough for upstream (either
   I am not sure that I can implment Alpha tcg backend in working time).

 - tci is one tcg backend, at present, it can let i386 console programs
   work under Alpha. So I can learn tcg backend by fixing its X issues
   with the help from upstream (then implement SW64 tcg backend, next).

 - Also tci is only slightly lower than tcg native backend, so if we are
   lucky, its performance may be enough too! (I hope so).

Thanks.
--
Chen Gang

Open, share, and attitude like air, water, and life which God blessed