qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Should we auto-generate IDs?

From: John Snow
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Should we auto-generate IDs?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 18:08:02 -0400

On 08/26/2015 05:48 PM, Programmingkid wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2015, at 2:45 PM, Peter Maydell wrote:
>
>> On 26 August 2015 at 18:16, Programmingkid <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> That is assuming they have the time and/or the interest in solving this
>>> problem. I
>>> suppose giving them some time to respond would be reasonable. I'm thinking
>>> if
>>> no consensus has been reached in one weeks time (starting today), we turn to
>>> Peter Maydell for the answer. Hopefully he will just pick which of the
>>> patches he
>>> likes the best. Judging by how long this problem has been ongoing, someone
>>> pick the answer is probably the best we can expect.
>>
>> This is the kind of thing I strongly prefer to leave to the
>> relevant subsystem maintainer(s). My opinion is not worth
>> a great deal since I don't have a strong familiarity with
>> this bit of QEMU.
>
> It looks unreasonable to assume any consensus can be reached over this issue.
> The easy thing to do is to just let each maintainer deal with this problem
> his own way.

What feedback was there that seemed insurmountable? Last I talked to
Jeff Cody he said there was no "overwhelming pushback" against his
patches, just a list of concerns.

This doesn't sound like a dead end so much as it sounds like we haven't
planned the feature enough yet.

> Markus:
> I know you really wanted a single ID generating system, but it just isn't
> going
> to happen. I will make a patch that would only effect USB devices. All other
> devices would be untouched. At least the device_del problem will be solved.

I think this is being unnecessarily hasty. We should make sure that an
auto-generated ID system does not create problems for other areas of
code before we rush ahead with one to solve a single problem.

Let's give the universal approach some more time before we jump to the
conclusion that it's impossible.

--js