qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Should we auto-generate IDs?

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Should we auto-generate IDs?
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2015 14:51:20 +0100

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 09:39:10AM -0400, Programmingkid wrote:

> > Better still might be fixing things to where we add a global command
> > line option that outright fails any attempt to create an unnamed object.
> > The option would be off by default for back-compat.  But management
> > apps like libvirt can turn it on once they are prepared to name every
> > object they create (which in turn may imply fixing any remaining
> > interfaces that cannot name an object to add in that ability for
> > management to pass in a name).  Then there would be no unnamed objects,
> > no ambiguity, and no need to generate names.
>
> I do agree with giving every device an ID, but I don't think failing if the
> user
> forgets to give one is necessary. If libvirt doesn't give devices and ID, it
> would probably benefit from having QEMU do it for libvirt.

Libvirt always gives an explicit ID. It is impossible to rely on QEMU
assigning IDs, because there is no reliable way to identify what ID
QEMU assigned to each device after the fact. Other management apps
would have the same problem, so auto-generated IDs are pretty useless
in that respect.

Regards,
Daniel