qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Mount image file feature

From: Max Reitz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Mount image file feature
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 20:01:41 +0200

On 29.08.2015 19:36, Programmingkid wrote:

> On Aug 29, 2015, at 12:39 PM, Max Reitz wrote:

>>> Isn't Libvirt only available on Linux? This mount image file feature would
>>> only be on Mac OS X.
>>
>> I'm not sure whether that sounds like a good idea, because then people
>> using bare qemu on Linux would complain that it isn't available with
>> Gtk. So if this was to be implemented, it would have to implemented
>> cross-platform (or at least in a way so it can be used cross-platform
>> later on).
>
> If making QEMU more user-friendly is a crime, I plead guilty!

Yes, in some people's eyes it is a crime because they say qemu should
rather be machine-friendly. User-friendliness is always expensive,
difficult to maintain, and a neverending source of complaints.

So while it is always a nice thing to have, it comes at a hefty price.

> I'm not a Linux user. I am a proud Macintosh user. We Mac users
> like our software easy to use. I know this goes against the Linux
> way of life. That is why this patch would only work on Mac OS X.
> This will keep QEMU on Linux hard to use... just the way you guys
> like it.

Erm, well, I think I won't reply to that other than *cough* virt-manager
*cough*.

>>> Mac OS X users don't have all the fancy GUI wrappers
>>> for QEMU :(
>>
>> Good thing most GNU/Linux distributions are free. ;-)
>>
>> (sorry, could not resist)
>
> ....lolz
>
> But on the other hand, you get what you pay for.

Working qemu/KVM with a nice management layer on top of it?

>>> Mac OS X is a second-class citizen in the QEMU world...
>>
>> Might have to do something with most (?) of it being non-free and Apple
>> not caring enough about KVM.
>
> Fact, Apple has made an hypervisor API available as of Mac OS 10.10, so who
> knows. Maybe in the future someone will implement KVM support on Mac OS X.

As far as I know, someone even managed to create a proof-of-concept
implementation of KVM for Windows. Of course it's possible, but it isn't
there yet, and I was just explaining a possible reason why there aren't
(which I'm assuming from what you told me) any nice user-friendly and
feature-rich qemu management tools for OS X.

> Fact, Apple now gives away Mac OS X for free. Yes I know, it is only for
> Apple-only
> hardware still.

Then you know it's not free.

Also, here I meant "free" as in "freedom", not "free" as in "beer". I
don't know how much of OS X is free software. I know the kernel is, but
most of the things above it aren't, as far as I remember. So that's why
I don't know whether it would actually be reasonably possible for anyone
outside Apple to develop a supported KVM host module.

>> (And without KVM, people in turn don't care enough about OS X as a qemu
>> host.)
>>
>> ((But all of that is pretty biased speculation, of course.))
>
> Of course...

Yep, since this is a well-tested flamewar topic, of course it is.

My point wasn't to make OS X look bad. My point was to explain why OS X
is a second-class citizen in the qemu world, and I feel like there is a
very good reason for it, and that simply is missing KVM support.

Another reason is probably that most of the active qemu developers are
paid to focus on Linux-related things.

>>> That is because of several reasons. One being maintainers not wanting to
>>> advance the GUI because they feel another program should be QEMU's
>>> GUI. I'm sure there are plenty of good ideas that would advance QEMU's
>>> GUI. These ideas just need to be accepted into QEMU rather than put off.
>>
>> Another is that some people simply feel that qemu should focus on being
>> a backend than having to mess with frontend work, too. See the recent
>> discussion on the Gtk code setting the locale and thus breaking QMP for
>> an example why they have a point.
>
> We can have both. Command-line options are there that can turn on or off the
> GUI.
> Example: --disable-gtk.
>
> Ideally I want QEMU's GUI to be similar to VirtualBox's GUI. Doing stuff like
> freezing and restoring a session would be awesome and a real time saver.

Might be trivially possible with the things I described, since there is
HMP's savevm/loadvm.

On the other hand, I don't think you'll find (m)any friends for making
qemu's GUI as feature-rich as VBox's. There have long been
"non-invasive" GUIs for managing qemu VMs (such as qtemu), so this isn't
some recent development.

Maybe I can get you interested in writing a management application for
OS X? I do not think that would be more difficult than plugging these
features directly into qemu, and I think everyone would like that idea.
As an OS X user, there shouldn't be any visible difference; and all
non-OS-X users would not have any reason to complain.

Because, as much as you may think this is worthless to hear, what you
are describing is exactly what virt-manager offers.

>> I guess you'll better talk to Markus about this. :-)
>>
>> Quote: "We should've stayed out of the GUI business."
>>
>> (http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-08/msg03049.html)
>
> That is totally fine for the Linux users. If they want to use the
> command-line only,
> let them. They are only hurting themselves :)

Again, that is not necessarily true. For VMs where I want to get stuff
done, I use libvirt and virt-manager.

Max