qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Mount image file feature

From: Eric Blake
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Mount image file feature
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 17:10:17 -0600

On 08/29/2015 01:34 PM, Max Reitz wrote:

>>> Erm, well, I think I won't reply to that other than *cough* virt-manager
>>> *cough*.
>>
>> Linux exclusive probably.
>
> Your point?
>
> You said applications on Linux are generally more difficult to use than
> comparable applications on OS X, by design. I said "Well, there's
> virt-manager." You say it's available only on Linux. So how does that
> make qemu on Linux more difficult to use than on OS X?

virt-manager is designed to be cross-platform compatible, and it IS
ported to Windows. If the port to Mac OS doesn't already work out of the
box, then I'm sure the virt-manager community would love patches.  And
THAT is the gui app of choice for dealing with VMs in a cross-platform
manager, since virt-manager IS a gui.  But this is not the virt-manager
mailing list.  Here, in the lower-level qemu, we focus on providing the
machine-friendly knobs, so that higher-level apps like libvirt, and on
top of that virt-manager, can expose a nice gui that uses those knobs.