qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Mount image file feature

From: Programmingkid
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Mount image file feature
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 09:12:38 -0400

On Aug 31, 2015, at 3:52 AM, Markus Armbruster wrote:

> Programmingkid <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I'm not sure whether that sounds like a good idea, because then people
>>> using bare qemu on Linux would complain that it isn't available with
>>> Gtk. So if this was to be implemented, it would have to implemented
>>> cross-platform (or at least in a way so it can be used cross-platform
>>> later on).
>>
>> If making QEMU more user-friendly is a crime, I plead guilty!
>>
>> I'm not a Linux user. I am a proud Macintosh user. We Mac users
>> like our software easy to use. I know this goes against the Linux
>> way of life. That is why this patch would only work on Mac OS X.
>> This will keep QEMU on Linux hard to use... just the way you guys
>> like it.
>
> I think you've used up your "speculation on what Linux users like" quota
> on this list for 2015.  Now let's get back on topic.
>
> [More snipped...]

>>> Another is that some people simply feel that qemu should focus on being
>>> a backend than having to mess with frontend work, too. See the recent
>>> discussion on the Gtk code setting the locale and thus breaking QMP for
>>> an example why they have a point.
>>
>> We can have both. Command-line options are there that can turn on or
>> off the GUI.
>> Example: --disable-gtk.
>>
>> Ideally I want QEMU's GUI to be similar to VirtualBox's GUI. Doing stuff like
>> freezing and restoring a session would be awesome and a real time saver.
>>
>>> I guess you'll better talk to Markus about this. :-)
>>>
>>> Quote: "We should've stayed out of the GUI business."
>>>
>>> (http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-08/msg03049.html)
>>
>> That is totally fine for the Linux users. If they want to use the
>> command-line only,
>> let them. They are only hurting themselves :)
>
> You're attacking a strawman.

I think the word attack is a little strong. We were just having a little
informal
conversation. Sorry if the Linux jokes weren't so funny.

>  Nobody is arguing against having a nice
> GUI.  My argument is that one application trying to do everything tends
> to result in the application doing most of it badly.

That's what you believe? Are you saying if we do add a few features to the GUI
it automatically becomes bad? Isn't that kind of pessimistic? Is all hope gone?

Running Virt-manager on Mac OS X isn't currently possible. So my only choice is
to advance
the GUI. This feature would making transferring files from and to the guest
actually easy
to do. That sounds like a good idea. This patch would only affect Mac OS X
users, so Linux
users won't notice a difference. No harm done to them.