qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Can we require a newer Python?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Can we require a newer Python?
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 17:03:54 +0100

On 4 September 2015 at 16:47, Markus Armbruster <address@hidden> wrote:
> We currently require Python 2.4, and have a bit of special code for
> Python older than 2.6.  I could use a module that's available since 2.6.
>
> Python 2.4 is from 2004.  We require GLib 2.22, which from 2009.  Makes
> me suspect we don't actually support any system with such an old Python
> anymore.
>
> I vaguely remember we settled for GLib 2.22 due to some version of SLES.
> If that's correct: what version of Python does it provide?

https://www.suse.com/releasenotes/x86_64/SUSE-SLES/11-SP3/#fate-313238
suggests SLES11sp3 is Python 2.6.6.

RHEL6 is also a Python 2.6.

2.6 will work on OSX back to 10.6 (and if you're on 10.5 you're
building so much other stuff for build-dependencies, including a
complete C compiler and linker, that having to scrape up a python
is probably the least of your worries...)

So I think we should be able to move our requirement up to Python 2.6
(but no further).

thanks
-- PMM