qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Target vs architecture for QEMU binary

From: Andrea Bolognani
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Target vs architecture for QEMU binary
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 2015 15:27:38 +0200

Hi,

at the moment, libvirt is using some ad-hoc logic to allow
i686 guests to run on qemu-system-x86_64 (by using the CPU
model qemu32); in all other cases, it's assumed that a $arch
guest needs qemu-system-$arch to run.

This is causing a problem right now with ppc64le guests
because, even though qemu-system-ppc64 is perfectly capable
of running them, libvirt will refuse to.

We want to change the logic so that it reflects the actual
capabilities of the QEMU binary, but AFAICT there isn't eg.
a QMP command we can use to query the binary for the list
of architectures it implements.

Am I missing something? Is such an interface available?

Failing that, we'll have to map QEMU targets with implemented
guest architectures inside libvirt, in which case it would be
great if you could point me towards either some up-to-date
documentation or a reliable way to extract the information
myself.

Thank you for your help.

--
Andrea Bolognani