qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Aspirant for AMD IOMMU emulation project for Outreachy

From: Valentine Sinitsyn
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Aspirant for AMD IOMMU emulation project for Outreachy
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 12:07:00 +0500

On 09.09.2015 11:54, David kiarie wrote:
...snip...
Most recent work is here
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-08/msg02759.html
. Most the code is Qemu device boilerplate(so there are a ton of
things to add but I wanted to have the existing work merged first).
The IOMMU just offers basic translation. From Valentine's previous
comments, I only have a few minor issues to fix in the code.

This is a bit of off-topic here, but I'd argue they are minor. There are
some inaccuracies in emulation, and IOMMU itself is rather feature-limited,
just as you said. I doubt I'd be able to run current Jailhouse
implementation on it, for instance, albeit I haven't tried. So, your patches
are good start, but I feel there's a somewhat long way before they actually
get merged.

Yep, that is possible. For instance, you were insisting on 'cache'
implemention ;) which IMHO, is optional but could be a good project
start.
The thing that worried me most is how you handle invalid Device Table entries, and that most bits in control/status registers are actually no-op. And I don't insist on cache implementation, just make sure there is a way to invalidate the configuration. Maybe I overlooked something and you already do it?

Let's discuss it not in this thread but where your patch is.

So, in short: there are still tasks to be done in AMD IOMMU emulation
project. I also feel it's possible to parallelize them so David and Rita can
continue without stepping at each other toe, if the program permits it.

I obviously do other things alongside :-D this project but given some
time I could get the code merged and continue to add other features.

For the Outreachy program, just like for GSoC, we need to find a good
topic that is sufficiently clear defined on program start and not worked
on in parallel during the runtime. There are still a number of open
topics in this area, e.g. around the older Intel IOMMU model (error
handling and reporting, interrupt remapping), or maybe we find something
different - depends on your interests and experiences. Do you have any
public references to your previous work?

Then I'd suggest to schedule an irc meeting to discuss your interests
and background a bit further and consider available options.

Jan

Regards,
Valentine

Valentine