qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Target vs architecture for QEMU binary

From: Andrea Bolognani
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Target vs architecture for QEMU binary
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 10:17:34 +0200

On Tue, 2015-09-08 at 16:47 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > Or we could just query everything that looks like a QEMU
> > binary and then lookup the correct one for the guest based
> > on the query results, couldn't we? Again, assuming such
> > interface even exists.
>
> I'd prefer libvirt to not have a trawl through every QEMU
> binary to do this really.

AFAIK we're already querying every binary for other stuff
we're interested in, so adding one more query shouldn't
change anything. Or am I missing something?

> > I'm not sure they're covering all possible combinations,
> > though. Which is why it would be really nice to be able to
> > ask this stuff to QEMU itself.
>
> So, I think what we need do is to just refactor the
> virQEMUCapsFindBinaryForArch(), to pull out the
> architecture canonocalization out into a separate
> method eg virArch virQEMUCapsCanonicalSystemArch(virArch)
> and then just call it from both places

Sounds reasonable. Are we sure we have a complete
understanding of the relationship between targets and
architectures, though? For example, I don't see anything
about s390, and the ARM stuff doesn't look like it covers
everything. I just want to make sure we're not doing
anything wrong or missing any possible combination.

Cheers.

--
Andrea Bolognani
Software Engineer - Virtualization Team