qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] wav output sounds good - what does this mean?

From: Stefan Hajnoczi
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] wav output sounds good - what does this mean?
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2015 10:17:55 +0100

On Sun, Sep 06, 2015 at 04:53:29PM -0400, Programmingkid wrote:
> I have been working on making the sound output from the USB sound card
> actually sound good. When the audio is sent to CoreAudio, the sound is not
> very good. But when I use the wav file output option, the sound in the wave
> file sounds perfect. What does this mean?

You didn't describe or post an example of the "not very good" sound via
CoreAudio.

Perhaps QEMU is not filling playback buffers quickly enough, causing
underruns?  These are drop-outs in the audio and are caused by missing
the real-time deadlines for filling playback audio buffers.

The wav output wouldn't have that problem since data is appended while
QEMU is running but you only listen to it later.  So the timing doesn't
matter and it will sound fine.

Another possibility is that QEMU isn't writing audio samples in the
format that CoreAudio expects, so you hear weird artifacts.

More info is needed...

Stefan