qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [edk2] EDK II & GPL - Re: OVMF BoF @ KVM Forum 2015

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [edk2] EDK II & GPL - Re: OVMF BoF @ KVM Forum 2015
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2015 10:26:43 +0100

On Wed, Sep 09, 2015 at 05:41:59PM -0700, Jordan Justen wrote:
> On 2015-09-09 16:05:20, Andrew Fish wrote:
> >
> > > On Sep 9, 2015, at 3:24 PM, Jordan Justen <address@hidden> wrot> > >
> > > FWIW, I don't mind if the consensus is that GplDriverPkg must live in
> > > a separate repo. But, it would be nice to hear a good reason why it
> > > must live elsewhere.
> >
> > Because GPL is not a permissive license. An accidental git grep and
> > copying some code can change the license of the code that gets the
> > GPL code pasted into it.
>
> I like this argument. It is slightly tempered by the fact that git
> grep always shows the source path, and thus 'GplDriverPkg' would be
> obviously visible.

Plenty of projects have a scenario in which different parts of their
codebase are under different licenses, without there being undue
problems. If you make it clear by having a separate directory, then
I think you can ultimately credit the developers with having enough
intelligence to do the right thing here. If not, then I'd probably
question whether you can trust them to submit any code at all, as
they could equally have blindly copied it from a 3rd party project
under an incompatible license.

Regards,
Daniel