qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Loading image/elf to cpu that has different not system

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Loading image/elf to cpu that has different not system memory address space
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 08:46:27 -0700

On 23 September 2015 at 08:17, Marcin Krzemiński
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to write a model of embedded board that have corterx-m3 and
> cotex a9 processors.
> Because M3 see different memory at address 0x0 than A9 (m3 has small rom, a9
> has whole ram) I created different address space for m3 (thanks Peter
> Crosthwaite! for hints how to do this!).
> Now I stacked at loading "kernel" to start M3. If I use default address
> space for M3 I can load I run my elf filr (it can be image, but currently it
> is easiest for me with elf) all works fine.
> The problem is when I switch to my new (root MR is not from
> get_system_memory() call ) i got execution outside RAM exception.
> That is happening because there are only zeroes in memory pointed by my
> second address space.
> The question is how can I load image to this memory (it might be elf, but
> binary image also is fine)?
> I can not even find the code that loads data to memory in fist place. Could
> you point me where the loading is done in the code?

This is going to be complicated. I suspect you will need to add
some infrastructure for specifying per-CPU image loading (maybe
via CPU properties?), which we don't have at all right now.

(Our current image loading code for arm lives in hw/arm/boot.c.)

thanks
-- PMM