qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Enabling PMU in qemu arm64

From: Pranith Kumar
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Enabling PMU in qemu arm64
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2015 15:32:44 -0400

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 12:21 PM, Christopher Covington
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Are you using KVM or TCG (are you running on an x86 host or an arm64 host)?

I am using TCG, aarch64-softmmu on x86 host.

> We have published some patches implementing the PMU registers and instruction
> counting (but not any other events) for TCG mode [1], but more work is
> required to get these changes into shape for inclusion upstream.
>
> 1. https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-08/msg00567.html

Thanks for the pointer. From the patch series I can see that patches 7
and 9  are for enabling PMU in ARM virt. Do you plan on submitting
them upstream?
I will try these patches locally and see how it goes.

> To guide and justify the changes I'm currently trying to write kvm-unit-tests
> that measure
>
> A) IPC using PMCCNTR_EL0 (implemented upstream, at least when not using
> -icount) and code with known length in instructions;

PMCCNTR_EL0 always returns 0 for me(in 2.4, will check tip).

> B) CPU frequency using PMCCNTR_EL0 and CNTVCT_EL0; and
> C) instructions event in the PMU for code with known length in instructions

I am guessing these two are not upstream yet, would be great to see it there.

Thanks!
--
Pranith