qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] implement smbios support for mach-virt: triggers usual

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] implement smbios support for mach-virt: triggers usual QEMU makefile bug
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 11:11:06 +0100

On 5 October 2015 at 09:34, Claudio Fontana <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> The commit "smbios: implement smbios support for mach-virt" seems to cause
> the usual problem in QEMU's makefiles to trigger:
>
> hw/arm/virt.c:892: undefined reference to `smbios_set_defaults'
> hw/arm/virt.c:895: undefined reference to `smbios_get_tables'
>
> This is IIRC the consequence of adding CONFIG_SMBIOS=y to
> default-configs/rm-softmmu.mak,
> which is not picked up by the build system until a clean of the working tree
> has been done, right?
>
> This is worked around by
>
> $ git clean -d -x -f
>
> followed by reconfigure/rebuild. Just wanted to mention this on the
> list in case someone is looking to fix this longstanding issue..

You can also just remove $BUILDDIR/aarch64-softmmu-config-devices.mak.d
I think, which will cause us to realise we need to regenerate
config-devices.mak.

I haven't ever been able to figure out why this stuff fails. We have
had several bugs in the past here, and if you have a build-tree that
predates those getting fixed you can have stale stuff in the tree
that means that even after the makefile fixes they still don't take
effect. But I suspect there's still a bug in there somewhere.

thanks
-- PMM