qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] How to get started with the source code of Qemu?

From: Bastian Koppelmann
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] How to get started with the source code of Qemu?
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 19:04:31 +0200

Hi Aaron,

On 10/06/2015 04:17 PM, Aaron Elkins wrote:
Hi all,

I am new to Qemu, and I’m extremely interested in understanding how the source
code of Qemu work. But after
I downloaded the whole project, I just lost in it, the project is too large for
me to get started.

If anyone here can point me to some useful document or some guides, to make me
get started in understanding
the source code?

it depends of the area of your interest. Or do you seek a general overview regarding QEMU?

When I started with QEMU, I picked some part that looked interesting, looked at an interesting sounding function, added a breakpoint in gdb, and slowly stepped through it in order to understand it. Looking at the backtrace helps to see where this function was called to find more interesting function for the breakpoint stepping.

Sadly there is not a lot of documentation today. For some areas you have good chance, if you look into the docs/ directory. But mostly the sourcecode is the documentation. We talked about that issue on the QEMU Summit 2015 and would like to change it. However it depends on how people are willing to write high level documentation.

If you are interested in the tcg-frontend part of QEMU, I can give you some hints.

What knowledge are required to understand the source code?

BTW, i know this project is not that simple to understand, but I would like to
try, even I need to know a lot
of other knowledge before that, but at least let me get started.

Thanks

-Aaron

Cheers,
Bastian