qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Block device size rounding

From: Peter Crosthwaite
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC] Block device size rounding
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 08:30:41 -0700

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 2:14 AM, Kevin Wolf <address@hidden> wrote:
> Am 12.10.2015 um 20:26 hat John Snow geschrieben:

> Agreed, let's just reject the image for r/w. Image resize should always
> been an explicit action invoked by the user, not a side effect of using
> the image with a specific device.
>
>> > Inability to extend is easily detectable and can become a failure mode
>> > in it's own right. If we cant extend the file perhaps we can just
>> > LOG_UNIMP the data writes? Having to include in your user instructions
>> > "dd your already-on-SATA file system to this container just so it can
>> > work for SD" is a pain.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Peter
>> >

>> Fits within my "Always extend the size" answer. Failing to do so is a
>> good cause to fail.
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is the sort of thing that might require an extra
>> flag or option for compatibility reasons or not, though. If there is no
>> precedent for QEMU resizing a block device to make it compatible with a
>> particular device model, it's probably reasonable that no management
>> tool is expecting this to happen automatically either.
>>
>> Then again, it's still annoying that the current default is definitely
>> broken.
>
> That's not so clear to me. Strictly speaking, this is really a user
> error because the user passed an image that isn't suitable for the
> device. All we're discussing is handling this user error friendlier.
>
> Maybe we should take a step back: What's the specific use case here,
> i.e. where does the misaligned image come from and what is it used for?

An ext filesystem image built by the Yocto build system. It is passed
straight to QEMU as a raw image. The user does not create disk images,
they are done by the build system. Note that the build system is not
QEMU specific, it is designed to target either QEMU or be used for
some form of real-hardware deployment so padding there is
inappropriate.

> I assume this is not an image created with qemu-img, because then the

I am not using qemu-img at all.

> obvious options would already result in an aligned size.

Maybe. What is the alignment of qemu-img? Note this requires 512K
alignment, which is kinda huge.

>> I think this is going to boil down into an interface-and-expectations
>> argument. I am otherwise in favor of just forcing the resize whenever
>> possible and failing when it isn't.
>
> I'm strongly objecting to any automagic resizing of images.

Can we LOG_UNIMP writes to the missing sectors? The the user can RW to
the in-band sectors which should contain the limit of a pre-existing
filesystem.

Regards,
Peter