qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] What's the intended use of log.h logging?

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] What's the intended use of log.h logging?
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2015 14:36:00 +0100

On 16 October 2015 at 14:30, Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:

>> ...but in practice we don't really do that very much, and we
>> don't have documented lists of classes which we support either.
>> Guessing what might be a plausible glob of tracepoint names to
>> enable seems like a definite step back from the formalized
>> logging categories we have currently.
>
> We could add "-d trace:help" to list valid tracepoint names.

I think people are mostly going to care about categories
(eg "enable tracing for device X", or "enable tracing for
all unimplemented features", or "enable a medium level of
debug tracing for device Y".

If we want to get there we need to define standards for
naming tracepoints and enforce them somehow
(subsystem_category_level_tracepointname ?)

thanks
-- PMM