qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu: Guest Linux hangs on Mac OS X 10.11

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Qemu: Guest Linux hangs on Mac OS X 10.11
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 21:37:31 +0100

On 18 October 2015 at 20:46, Peter Maydell <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 16 October 2015 at 08:32, Aaron Elkins <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I built Qemu on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan with:
>>
>>         ./configure
>>         make
>>         make install
>>
>> Successfully.
>>
>> And downloaded the official linux image, and ran it with the following:
>>
>>         qemu-system-x86_64 -drive
>> file=linux-0.2.img,index=0,media=disk,format=raw
>>
>> And then got the following warnings and the guest linux can not response to
>> keyboard and freezes for a period of time, and this issue repeated forever
>> while the guest linux was running.
>>
>>         main-loop: WARNING: I/O thread spun for 1000 iterations
>>
>> Any idea?
>
> I've been able to reproduce this on my Yosemite system (only
> with debugging disabled, annoyingly.) Not sure why it's doing
> it yet, though...
>
> (Note to Paolo: if I disable the 'suppress second notifications'
> code it prints the warning forever.)

Sometimes it does manage to unwedge itself. Paolo, do you have
any suggestions for how to debug this kind of issue? Backtraces
and some debug printfs seem to indicate that the TCG CPU thread is sat in
qemu_tcg_wait_io_event() until the main loop hits its "spun too
much" check, and then the unlock-lock causes us to get out of the
cond-wait, but then we get stuck again.

thanks
-- PMM