qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC Patch 00/12] IXGBE: Add live migration support for

From: Or Gerlitz
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [RFC Patch 00/12] IXGBE: Add live migration support for SRIOV NIC
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 21:45:42 +0300

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Lan Tianyu <address@hidden> wrote:
> This patchset is to propose a new solution to add live migration support
> for 82599 SRIOV network card.

> In our solution, we prefer to put all device specific operation into VF and
> PF driver and make code in the Qemu more general.

[...]

> Service down time test
> So far, we tested migration between two laptops with 82599 nic which
> are connected to a gigabit switch. Ping VF in the 0.001s interval
> during migration on the host of source side. It service down
> time is about 180ms.

So... what would you expect service down wise for the following
solution which is zero touch and I think should work for any VF
driver:

on host A: unplug the VM and conduct live migration to host B ala the
no-SRIOV case.

on host B:

when the VM "gets back to live", probe a VF there with the same assigned mac

next, udev on the VM will call the VF driver to create netdev instance

DHCP client would run to get the same IP address

+ under config directive (or from Qemu) send Gratuitous ARP to notify
the switch/es on the new location for that mac.

Or.