qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] configure claims I requested feature nettle when I didn

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] configure claims I requested feature nettle when I didn't...
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 16:43:04 +0100

On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 04:17:10PM +0100, Peter Maydell wrote:
> address@hidden all]$ ../../configure
> ERROR: User requested feature nettle
>        configure was not able to find it.
>        Install nettle devel
>
> ...but as you can see I didn't ask for nettle explicitly at all,
> so configure should fall back to disabling it, not exiting with
> an error.
>
> configure --disable-gnutls seems to work around this. I think
> what is happening is that the logic to check for gnutls is
> deciding that gnutls exists and so it can set the feature to
> yes, but is failing to fall back to "actually, no" if the
> user didn't explicitly require gnutls and gnutls needs nettle
> and nettle isn't installed.

Yes, if configure finds  gnutls, it tries to figure out if gnutls
links to nettle or gcrypt, and then checks for the corresponding
one. It fails if gnutls is found, but the corresponding nettle/gcrypt
is not found, on the basis that that should not actually happen, as
installing gnutls-dev should pull in nettle-dev/gcrypt-dev packages
as appropriate.

Did you only see this with todays master ?  This particular hard failure
logic was present even before commit 4e2abbeacce6e12e62a0183c67936c807b19c3b9
so I would expect you to see it all the way back to
ed754746fea55df726f4de3dadb5bea0b6aa7409

Regards,
Daniel