qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU patch to allow VM introspection via libvmi

From: Valerio Aimale
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] QEMU patch to allow VM introspection via libvmi
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 14:45:53 -0600

On 10/22/15 2:03 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
On 10/22/2015 01:57 PM, Valerio Aimale wrote:

pmemmap would return the following json

{
     'success' : 'true',
     'map_filename' : '/tmp/QEM_mmap_1234567'
}
In general, it is better if the client controls the filename, and not
qemu.  This is because things like libvirt like to run qemu in a
highly-constrained environment, where the caller can pass in a file
descriptor that qemu cannot itself open().  So returning a filename is
pointless if the filename was already provided by the caller.

Eric, I absolutely and positively agree with you. I was just brainstorming. Consider my pseudo-C code as the mailing list analog of somebody scribbling on a white board and trying explain an idea.

I agree with you the file name should come from the qmp client.