qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] safety of migration_bitmap_extend

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] safety of migration_bitmap_extend
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2015 09:19:47 +0000

* Wen Congyang (address@hidden) wrote:
> On 11/04/2015 05:05 PM, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> > * Wen Congyang (address@hidden) wrote:

> >> IIUC, migration_bitmap_extend() is called when migration is running, and
> >> we hotplug
> >> a device.
> >>
> >> In this case, I think we hold the iothread mutex when
> >> migration_bitmap_extend() is called.
> >>
> >> ram_save_complete() is also protected by the iothread mutex.
> >>
> >> So if migration_bitmap_extend() is called, the migration thread may be
> >> blocked in
> >> migration_completion() and wait it. qemu_savevm_state_complete() will be
> >> called after
> >> migration_completion() returns.
> >
> > But I don't think ram_save_iterate is protected by that lock, and my concern
> > is that the dirty-pages calculation is wrong during the iteration phase,
> > and then
> > the iteration phase will never exit and never try and get to
> > ram_save_complete.
>
> Yes, the dirty-pages may be wrong. But it is smaller, not larger than the
> exact value.
> Why will the iteration phase never exit?

Imagine that migration_dirty_pages is slightly too small and we enter
ram_save_iterate;
ram_save_iterate now sends *all* it's pages, it decrements
migration_dirty_pages for
every page sent.  At the end of ram_save_iterate, migration_dirty_pages would
be negative.
But migration_dirty_pages is *u*int64_t; so we exit ram_save_iterate,
go around the main migration_thread loop again and call
qemu_savevm_state_pending, and
it returns a very large number (because it's actually a negative number), so we
keep
going around the loop, because it never gets smaller.

Dave