qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/57] Migration pull

From: Peter Maydell
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] [PULL 00/57] Migration pull
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 10:53:21 +0000

On 9 November 2015 at 22:36, Eric Blake <address@hidden> wrote:
> The only POSIX-ly correct portable way to print ssize_t is via casts
> (yes, quite ugly), as in:
>
> printf("%zu", (size_t)(ssize_t_value));

I'm running a test build using this approach.

> I wish %zd were portably useful for printing ssize_t, but POSIX hasn't
> yet made that requirement.  And while I argue that mingw headers are
> broken (because they aren't doing the obvious implementation of size_t
> and ssize_t based on the same underlying type), it's also hard to argue
> that it is violating POSIX (since POSIX doesn't yet require the same
> underlying type).

I think at some point after 2.5 releases I will look at updating
my now-very-ancient w32 build setup to something slightly less
terrible (in particular, moving to mingw-w64; I'm pretty sure the
mingw32 toolchain I have now produces binaries that wouldn't run
due to TLS bugs if we tried them, and at some point it would be
neat to see if 'make check' can be made to work via WINE.) But I'd
rather not do that mid-release process.

thanks
-- PMM