qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] Highlighting changes in QEMU 2.5

From: Amit Shah
Subject: [Qemu-devel] Highlighting changes in QEMU 2.5
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:28:25 +0530

Hello,

The 2.5 release is close - and I'm collecting a list of notable
changes and features once more.  The video made for the 2.4 release
[1] was popular, and I'm volunteering to make one for 2.5 as well.  In
addition, we need more feature pages, and there's a template at [2]
that you can use to base feature pages off.

I've CC'ed maintainers whose pull reqs got merged for the 2.5 cycle,
but this is not restricted to maintainers only - feature owners are
welcome to submit their videos and author feature pages as well --
please coordinate with the maintainers who sent pull reqs so there's
no duplication of content for the video.

Please get me the videos before Monday, 7 December, and I can then get
the final video ready in time for the 10th December release date.

For the feature pages, please link them to the ChangeLog page at [3].

Details:

This time, we can actually put the video out on release day (even
within the release announcement?) since we have a bit of time on
hands.  Can you please go through the notable enhancements in your
subsystems for the 2.5 release, and send me a short (max. 2 mins)
video highlighting the changes in 2.5, and optionally something about
where we're headed in the future with those changes?  A brief note on
how those changes impact users (directly, or via higher level
software, e.g. openstack) will be useful.

The video can be shot using a phone camera (preferably the main
camera), or a webcam / laptop cam.  For consistency, it's better if
the videos are at least 720p (higher the better!), and have as less
background noise as possible.  I can remove the background noise using
audacity, but that makes the main voice sound robotic, so it's better
not to resort to that.

Please upload to some file sharing service (preferably no login
required), and send me a pointer.

Additionally, more search-friendly text-based feature pages help
users, testers and future contributors a lot, so please create feature
pages for major changes, and include as much information as possible.
The template at [2] should be a good start to help thinking about what
information to include.

[1] http://log.amitshah.net/2015/09/qemu-maintainers-on-the-2-4-release/
[2] http://qemu-project.org/NewFeatureTemplate
[3] http://qemu-project.org/ChangeLog/2.5