qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] ivshmem property size should be a size, not a string

From: Markus Armbruster
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] ivshmem property size should be a size, not a string
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2015 10:52:13 +0100

Andrew James <address@hidden> writes:

> On 11/20/2015 01:18 PM, Marc-André Lureau wrote:
>> Hi

Thanks for your input, it's appreciated.

We generally don't just drop interfaces when they have users relying on
them.  Instead, we deprecate them in favour of replacements.  Users are
then advised to migrate to the replacement in an orderly fashion.  The
deprecated interface may go away eventually.  We tend to keep it
indefinitely unless it's a maintenance burden.

In case of ivshmem, I'll take yours and Bruce's note as evidence of use.
Orderly replacement is still fine, but outright removal would be rather
unkind to its existing users.