qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] KVMonitor-like technology

From: Mike Guidry
Subject: [Qemu-devel] KVMonitor-like technology
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 22:24:48 -0500

I have a project where I would like to inspect a QEMU Guest.  I came across KVMonitor and really like some of the concepts.

I'd like to use shared memory/file backed memory to read guest memory immediately using CR3 for Guest->Host memory address translation.

Has anyone has experience doing this?  I first changed qemu_try_memalign() and realized that its for local memory allocations, usually.  I proceeded to change other functions, and came across qemu_anon_ram_alloc() which seemed to be where the larger (gigabyte) allocations were heading.  I enabled prealloc and finally began getting the allocations I wanted...

I'm curious if anyone has any other suggestions than to use shm_open() here.  I wanted to quickly hack this together and realized I cannot list shared memory regions on OSX, so I dumped them to files.  My question is:  I realize there is file-back for 'Large TLB,' although I didn't much success converting that function for non-TLB based file systems.  I considered doing mkramfs (with modified kernel for larger amounts, such as larger shared memory is necessary), and putting the file system on top.  I really haven't decided if I wanted to add another 'type' of backend, or to quickly modify one of these.

 Am i missing some feature that may allow me to handle this quickly?  I even considered using LD_PRELOAD to quickly hijack and enable all memory under shared memory for reading guest VM memory from another process.  I just have to ensure I have the CR3 context at all times of the particular process I'd like to  read.

Thanks,
Mike