qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] FD passing for chardevs and chardev backend multiplexin

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] FD passing for chardevs and chardev backend multiplexing
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 11:19:30 +0000

On Tue, Dec 08, 2015 at 10:04:55AM -0700, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 12/08/2015 07:59 AM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
> > So for this my plan is to stop using the QEMU 'file' backend for char
> > devs and instead pass across a pre-opened file descriptor, connected
> > to virtlogd. There is no "officially documented" way to pass in a
> > file descriptor to QEMU chardevs, but since QEMU uses qemu_open(),
> > we can make use of the fdset feature to achieve this. eg
> >
> > eg, consider fd 33 is the write end of a pipe file descriptor
> > I can (in theory) do
> >
> >   -add-fd set=2,fd=33 -chardev file,id=charserial0,path=/dev/fdset/2
> >
> > Now in practice this doesn't work, because qmp_chardev_open_file()
> > passes the O_CREAT|O_TRUNC flags in, which means the qemu_open()
> > call will fail when using the pipe FD pased in via fdsets.
>
> Is it just the O_TRUNC that is failing? If so, there is a recent patch
> to add an 'append':true flag that switches O_TRUNC off in favor of O_APPEND:
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2015-12/msg00762.html

Yes, it is the ftruncate() call in qemu_dup_flags, called from qemu_open
that is failing.

> Or is it that the pipe is one-way, but chardev insists on O_RDWR and
> fails because it is not two-way?

The chardev file: backend wants a O_RDONLY file - it won't accept
an O_RDWR file in fact, so we must use a pipe with it.

> > After more investigation I found it *is* possible to use a socketpair
> > and a pipe backend though...
> >
> >   -add-fd set=2,fd=33 -chardev pipe,id=charserial0,path=/dev/fdset/2
>
> Yes, a socketpair is bi-directional, so it supports O_RDWR opening.

Yep.

> > ..because for reasons I don't understand, if QEMU can't open $PATH.in
> > and $PATH.out, it'll fallback to just opening $PATH in read-write
> > mode even. AFAICT, this is pretty useless with pipes since they
> > are unidirectional, but, it works nicely with socketpairs, where
> > virtlogd has one of the socketpairs and QEMU gets passed the other
> > via fdset.
>
> Is it something where we'd want to support two pipes, and open
> /dev/fdset/2 tied to char.in and /dev/fdset/3 tied to char.out, where
> uni-directional pipes are again okay?

In theory we could do, but it would need us to special case the
code, as just taking  '/dev/fdset/2' and appending '.in' obviously
doesn't work. I don't think this really matters though - using a
socketpair is just fine.

> > I can easily check this works for historical QEMU versions back
> > to when fdsets support was added to chardevs, but I'm working if
> > the QEMU maintainers consider this usage acceptable over the long
> > term, and if so, should we explicitly document it as supported ?
>
> It seems like a bi-directional socketpair as the single endpoint for a
> chardev is useful enough to support and document, but I'm not the
> maintainer to give final say-so.
>

> > If not, should we introduce a more explicit syntax for passing in
> > a pre-opened FD for chardevs ? eg
> >
> >   -add-fd set=2,fd=33 -chardev fd,id=charserial0,path=/dev/fdset/2
> >

> Difference to the line you tried above:
>
> >   -add-fd set=2,fd=33 -chardev file,id=charserial0,path=/dev/fdset/2
>
> is 'fd' instead of 'file'.  But if we're going to add a new protocol, do
> we even need to go through the "/dev/fdset/..." name, or can we just
> pass the fd number directly?
>
> > Or just make  -chardev file,id=charserial0,path=/dev/fdset/2 actually
> > work ?
>
> I'd lean more to this case - the whole point of fdsets was that we don't
> have to add multiple fd protocols; that everyone that understood file
> syntax and uses qemu_open() magically gained fd support.

Yeah, that is a good point about not inventing multiple fd protocols.
>From that POV I'd be happy enough if we documented & supported that
'pipe' can be used with a socketpair, and 'file' can be used with
an pipe (once append=true support added)

> > eg should we make something like this work:
> >
> >   -add-fd set=2,fd=33
> >   -chardev pipe,id=charserial0file,path=/dev/fdset/2
> >   -chardev
> > socket,id=charserial0tcp,host=127.0.0.1,port=9999,telnet,server,nowait
> >   -chardev multiplex,id=charserial0,muxA=charserial0file,muxB=charserial1
>
> wouldn't muxB be charserial0tcp (not charserial1)?

Yes, silly typo.

> >   -serial isa-serial,chardev=charserial0,id=serial0
>
> But the idea of a multiplex protocol that has multiple data sinks (guest
> output copied to all sinks) and a single source (at most one source can
> provide input to the guest) makes sense on the surface.

Regards,
Daniel