qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Error handling in realize() methods

From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Error handling in realize() methods
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 11:21:15 +0000

* Markus Armbruster (address@hidden) wrote:
> Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > On 09/12/2015 10:30, Markus Armbruster wrote:
> >> My current working assumption is that passing &error_fatal to
> >> memory_region_init_ram() & friends is okay even in realize() methods and
> >> their supporting code, except when the allocation can be large.
> >
> > I suspect a lot of memory_region_init_ram()s could be considered
> > potentially large (at least in the 16-64 megabytes range).  Propagation
> > of memory_region_init_ram() failures is easy enough, thanks to Error**,
> > that we should just do it.
>
> Propagating an out-of-memory error right in realize() is easy.  What's
> not so easy is making realize() fail cleanly (all side effects undone;
> we get that wrong in many places), and finding and propagating
> out-of-memory errors hiding deeper in the call tree.
>
> However, genuinely "large" allocations should be relatively few, and
> handling them gracefully in hot-pluggable devices is probably feasible.
>
> I doubt ensuring *all* allocations on behalf of a hot-pluggable device
> are handled gracefully is a good use of our reseources, or even
> feasible.
>
> Likewise, graceful error handling for devices that cannot be hot-plugged
> feels like a waste of resources we can ill afford.  I think we should
> simply document their non-gracefulness by either setting hotpluggable =
> false or cannot_instantiate_with_device_add_yet = true with a suitable
> comment.
>
> > Even if we don't, we should use &error_abort, not &error_fatal
> > (programmer error---due to laziness---rather than user error).
> > &error_fatal should really be restricted to code that is running very
> > close to main().
>
> "Very close to main" is a question of dynamic context.
>
> Consider a device that can only be created during machine initialization
> (cannot_instantiate_with_device_add_yet = true or hotpluggable = false).
> &error_fatal is perfectly adequate there.  &error_abort would be
> misleading, because when it fails, it's almost certainly because the
> user tried to create too big a machine.
>
> Now consider a hot-pluggable device.  Its recognized "large" allocations
> all fail gracefully.  What about its other allocations?  Two kinds: the
> ones visible in the device model code, and the ones hiding elsewhere,
> which include "a few" of the 2300+ uses of GLib memory allocation.  The
> latter exit().  Why should the former abort()?
>
> Now use that hot-pluggable device during machine initialization.
> abort() is again misleading.
>
> Let's avoid a fruitless debate on when to exit() and when to abort() on
> out-of-memory, and just stick to exit().  We don't need a core dump to
> tell a developer to fix his lazy error handling.

The tricky bit is when a user says 'it crashed with out of memory' -
and we just did an exit, how do we find out which bit we should
improve the error handling on?  I guess the use of abort() could tell us
that - however it's a really big assumption that in an OOM case we'd
be able to dump the information.

Dave