qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] live migration vs device assignment (motivation)

From: Michael S. Tsirkin
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] live migration vs device assignment (motivation)
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2015 11:26:35 +0200

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 11:47:44PM +0800, Lan, Tianyu wrote:

> [...]
> functions to facilitate to add migration support for drivers.
> Migration core is in charge to sync status with Qemu.
>
> Example.
> migration_register()
> Driver provides
> - Callbacks to be called before and after migration or for bad path
> - Its irq which it prefers to deal with migration event.
>
> migration_event_check()
> Driver calls it in the irq handler. Migration core code will check
> migration status and call its callbacks when migration happens.
>

> >My thought on all this is that it might make sense to move this
> >functionality into a PCI-to-PCI bridge device and make it a
> >requirement that all direct-assigned devices have to exist behind that
> >device in order to support migration.  That way you would be working
> >with a directly emulated device that would likely already be
> >supporting hot-plug anyway.  Then it would just be a matter of coming
> >up with a few Qemu specific extensions that you would need to add to
> >the device itself.  The same approach would likely be portable enough
> >that you could achieve it with PCIe as well via the same configuration
> >space being present on the upstream side of a PCIe port or maybe a
> >PCIe switch of some sort.
> >
> >It would then be possible to signal via your vendor-specific PCI
> >capability on that device that all devices behind this bridge require
> >DMA page dirtying, you could use the configuration in addition to the
> >interrupt already provided for hot-plug to signal things like when you
> >are starting migration, and possibly even just extend the shpc
> >functionality so that if this capability is present you have the
> >option to pause/resume instead of remove/probe the device in the case
> >of certain hot-plug events.  The fact is there may be some use for a
> >pause/resume type approach for PCIe hot-plug in the near future
> >anyway.  From the sounds of it Apple has required it for all
> >Thunderbolt device drivers so that they can halt the device in order
> >to shuffle resources around, perhaps we should look at something
> >similar for Linux.
> >
> >The other advantage behind grouping functions on one bridge is things
> >like reset domains.  The PCI error handling logic will want to be able
> >to reset any devices that experienced an error in the event of
> >something such as a surprise removal.  By grouping all of the devices
> >you could disable/reset/enable them as one logical group in the event
> >of something such as the "bad path" approach Michael has mentioned.
> >

> These sounds we need to add a faked bridge for migration and adding a
> driver in the guest for it. It also needs to extend PCI bus/hotplug
> driver to do pause/resume other devices, right?
>
> My concern is still that whether we can change PCI bus/hotplug like that
> without spec change.
>
> IRQ should be general for any devices and we may extend it for
> migration. Device driver also can make decision to support migration

A dedicated IRQ per device for something that is a system wide event
sounds like a waste.  I don't understand why a spec change is strictly
required, we only need to support this with the specific virtual bridge
used by QEMU, so I think that a vendor specific capability will do.
Once this works well in the field, a PCI spec ECN might make sense
to standardise the capability.