qemu-devel

[Qemu-devel] guest kernel in the host RAM

From: Denis V. Lunev
Subject: [Qemu-devel] guest kernel in the host RAM
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 14:27:14 +0300

Hello, Paolo!

There is a plan or idea to improve current implementation
of Clear Containers for QEMU. Patches about NVDIMM
are floating in the list, you have proposed special
boot firmware for a case.

The idea is that we could boot with the uncompressed Linux
kernel in the guest which serves 2 purposes:
- faster boot time as per Intel opinion
- memory savings

Uncompressed kernel image could be the same for several
guests and thus memory pages for the kernel could be the
same, which saves a bit of RAM :)

At the moment neither BIOS support this in full: nor SeaBIOS,
nor OVMF, nor QBoot.

From our point of view QBoot is an ideal candidate for this.

Do you have any opinion for the topic?

Den