qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about nonblocking stderr and lost logs

From: Sam Bobroff
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] Question about nonblocking stderr and lost logs
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 11:53:16 +1100

On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 03:29:49PM +0800, Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2015 at 04:19:50PM +1100, Sam Bobroff wrote:

> > > This is unfortunate.  I wonder if opening /proc/fd/<n> is just a dup or
> > > if it actually creates separate file status flags.
> >
> > Calling open() always creates a new "file description" (which contains file
> > status flags), so it's certainly a way to approach this.
> >
> > I've testing doing this if we're going to use stderr as the qemu_logfile:
> >
> >     dup2(open("/proc/self/fd/2", O_WRONLY), 2)
> >
> > ... in do_qemu_set_log() and it fixes the issue, however...
>
> Thanks for trying it out.  Will you send a patch?
>
> > * Doing the dup2() causes it to fix any other fprintf()s to stderr, but
> >   I feel bad for changing the fd that's inside the stderr "FILE *"
> > "underneath
> >   it". Would it be better to do the following...
> >     qemu_logfile = fopen("/proc/self/fd/2", "a")
> >   ... even though that will leave other fprintf()s unfixed. (I think that is
> >   probably OK.)
> > * We could also unconditionally do the dup2(), maybe early in main().
>
> This is probably the cleanest way to solve the problem.  Early on during
> startup QEMU can "undup" stderr and never worry about it again.

OK.

> > * I'm not sure which platforms other than modern Linux support
> >   /proc/self/fd/<n>. (Just fixing it for Linux seems a lot better than
> >   nothing.)
>
> This workaround is platform-specific but still useful (on Linux).
>
> > * We could print a warning if stderr is nonblocking and we can't work around
> >   it. This seems like a good idea even if don't fix it for Linux.
>
> This is good when the workaround is not possible.

OK, I'll include this too.

> > * We could also handle it by converting the qemu_log_mask calls from
> > fprintf()
> >   to sprintf() + write(), as we'd then be able to handle EAGAIN correctly.
> > This
> >   doesn't feel any cleaner to me.
>
> I agree.  Bypassing fprintf() doesn't help since the fd is still
> O_NONBLOCK.

That wasn't exactly what I was trying to say, what I meant was that it *would*
help but that I don't think it's a good solution. I'll explain (sorry if I'm
over-explaining!):

The problem with fprintf() is that it may write "some" bytes and then return
failure, so it's impossible to handle the EAGAIN case correctly even if we
wanted to: we can't know where to continue writing. IMHO, this seems like it
could be considered a bug in fprintf().

Because write() always indicates how many bytes were written, we could manually
block on EAGAIN and resume writing at the correct place. But this would be
slower, require a local buffer (that may need to be resized sometimes) and more
complex code, so I don't think it's a good fix.  Although, it would be much more
portable and it would work.

Would you like me to post a patch for the re-open approach or explore the
sprintf()/write() idea?

Cheers,
Sam.