qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] live migration vs device assignment (motivation)

From: Alexander Duyck
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] live migration vs device assignment (motivation)
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2015 09:04:51 -0800

On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 8:46 AM, Michael S. Tsirkin <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 01:42:14AM +0800, Lan, Tianyu wrote:
>>

>> On 12/25/2015 8:11 PM, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
>> >As long as you keep up this vague talk about performance during
>> >migration, without even bothering with any measurements, this patchset
>> >will keep going nowhere.
>> >

>> I measured network service downtime for "keep device alive"(RFC patch V1
>> presented) and "put down and up network interface"(RFC patch V2 presented)
>> during migration with some optimizations.
>>
>> The former is around 140ms and the later is around 240ms.
>>
>> My patchset relies on the maibox irq which doesn't work in the suspend state
>> and so can't get downtime for suspend/resume cases. Will try to get the
>> result later.
>

> Interesting. So you sare saying merely ifdown/ifup is 100ms?
> This does not sound reasonable.
> Is there a chance you are e.g. getting IP from dhcp?

Actually it wouldn't surprise me if that is due to a reset logic in
the driver.  For starters there is a 10 msec delay in the call
ixgbevf_reset_hw_vf which I believe is present to allow the PF time to
clear registers after the VF has requested a reset.  There is also a
10 to 20 msec sleep in ixgbevf_down which occurs after the Rx queues
were disabled.  That is in addition to the fact that the function that
disables the queues does so serially and polls each queue until the
hardware acknowledges that the queues are actually disabled.  The
driver also does the serial enable with poll logic on re-enabling the
queues which likely doesn't help things.

Really this driver is probably in need of a refactor to clean the
cruft out of the reset and initialization logic.  I suspect we have
far more delays than we really need and that is the source of much of
the slow down.

- Alex