qemu-devel

Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: running the user interface in a thread ...

From: Daniel P. Berrange
Subject: Re: [Qemu-devel] RFC: running the user interface in a thread ...
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 15:28:42 +0000

On Tue, Jan 19, 2016 at 02:01:47PM +0100, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
>   Hi,
>
> > That, and so the UI can use localization without corrupting other
> > threads that MUST use the C locale (QMP parsing/output of floating point
> > is particularly important to get right with '.' instead of ',' for a
> > decimal separator).
>
> A quick look at the setlocale manpage doesn't make clear whenever
> threads can have different locales or not.

glibc has per-thread locales, but this isn't guaranteed portable across
unix platforms. We could enable per-thread localization on Linux builds
but disable it on other platforms.

> Related:  Possibly we should move UIs to another *process* instead?
> At least the ones which use a UI toolkit (i.e. sdl, gtk, cocoa).

Is the worth the effort ? The majority of mgmt apps use spice/vnc which
is already out of process. Will the people do use SDL/GTK/Coca backends,
be doing so in a scenario where moving the UI to a separate process is
a benefit to them ?  I'm not saying we shouldn't separate the UI to
another process, just that we should consider whether there's other
things todo in QEMU UI layer that are a better payoff for the userbase.

Regards,
Daniel